I’ve spoken a lot about metal, Mark Knopfler, Megadeth, RHCP, Pink Floyd, Maiden, Scorpions, etc. that have been my obsession since the last 7-8 years. Though as a kid, I was fed with a liberal dose of Carnatic music and Tamil movie songs. Needless to say Ilayaraja and MSV ruled. So I feel its not fair that I haven’t written a single post about my most favourite Tamil movie songs. The list is endless, but I’ll try to keep it short n sweet. Here it goes.
1. Ninnukori Varnam: This is from the movie Agni Natchatram (Mani Ratnam) and music by the Maestro (Ilayaraja). There’s something about this song that just makes me sway! Cuteness personified and Amala is the most beautiful actress ever according to me!!! Flowing hair, flawless complexion and amazing grace. How could I forget K S Chitra, (playback singer) who’s silky voice is something that the whole of my family is mad about.
2. Sundari neeyum: Now this is from a cult movie “Micheal Madan Kamarajan”. You say this movie’s name and I’ll be in splits. Every dialogue that Kamal Hasan mouths in this flick, I just laugh! Yet nother favourite actress Urvasi. Versatile and so good in the craft that it feels she was born for this field. I’m not talking about Kamal. Man, the man can act, dance, sing and romance! Which joker from the current scenario can boast of these many talents eh? BTW, Ilayaraja again!!!
3. Ilaya Nila: This is the original Neele Neele Ambar Par. The best part about this Tamil version is the music (obviously) and the singer S P Balasubramaniam, popularly known as SPB. My love for guitars and guitarists started here. Forgive this actor trying to hold a guitar. Just enjoy the song…
4. Kuzhal Oodum Kannan: Another cute song song from the cutie pie K S Chitra. One helluva singer! Music again the Maestro.
5. Mannil Indha Kadal: The original breatheless song by the phenomenon called SPB. Good movie as well. Very matured performances by SPB and R Radhika. My dad’s fav song.
6. Kanne Kalaimane: Another king called Yesudas. One of the most brilliant movies ever. I’m not talking much. Just enjoy this dreamy, sleepy song.
7. Amma Endrazhaikkatha: Yesudas with Ilayaraja gain. Phew. This is a Rajnikanth movie. Though I’m not a big fan of the Superstar, I’ve come to terms with the fact that this man just fills the screen. Terrific screen presence. About the song, one’d enjoy the song more if he/she knows Tamil properly. This is for all the mommies in the world.
8. Yedhedho: Ilayaraja + Vairamuthu (lyricist) + K S Chitra + Kamal Hasan + K Balachander= (Heaven + Paradise) * 1000! The video is bad but who wants to see the video when the music is so mesmerizing?
9. Mandram Vantha: This super song is from the movie Mouna Ragam that I’ve seen more than a zillion times and I’ve still not got enough of it. It talks about relationships, marriages in particular. Good story, super performances and killer music. Ofcourse you can expect magic when Mani Ratnam and Ilayaraja come together and this one wont disappoint anyone. BTW, this is our very own Cheeni Kam title track music! Obviously the Tamil version came way back in the 1980s.
The song lyrics make my eyes moist every time I listen to it:
[to live so unattached like water over lotus leaf ,
to live like friends, why should we marry?
to live without any relation/responsibility
life is not stage play to go separate ways after a scene, its not a river to take its directions as per its whims and fancies, like the moon in the sky, why can’t u live with me for ever and ever??]
10. Kadhal Sadugudu: Would be lying if I said, I grew up listening to this song. Rather, I refused to grow up after falling in love with my Maddy. A very recent song from the movie Alaipayuthey with music by A R Rahman. Though I can list innumerable songs by Rahman, this one is really close to my heart for many many reasons. One of them being, my Maddy looking awesomely cute!!!
Will post some more in time…